Summer Library Program 2017 and Youth & Inclusive Services Workshop
Registration closed at 5pm CST on Wednesday, February 1, 2017.
Date: Friday, February 3, 2017
Time: 9am - 3:15pm
Location: Oshkosh Public Library, lower level meeting rooms, 106 Washington Avenue, Oshkosh, WI (map)
9 - 9:15am — coffee & conversation
9:15am - 12:15pm
Creating Welcoming and Accessible Libraries for Children with Disabilities
Big or small, rural or urban — all public libraries serve children with disabilities in their communities. Librarian and advocate Renee Grassi will show how your library can develop an awareness and sensitivity to children with disabilities and their unique needs for library service.
Attendees will learn how to:
1. Perform a community needs assessment and advocate for families
2. Forge new partnerships with other agencies and organizations
3. Find new and innovative programming ideas
4. Learn about accessible customer service and different approaches to re-evaluate existing youth programs to attract a more inclusive audience.
Presenter: Renee Grassi, Youth Services Manager at Dakota County (Minnesota) Library System
12:15pm - 1pm
Lunch and system staff presentations:
• enjoy a catered lunch for $8, or bring your own
• brief presentations on system services that support SLP 2017 activities
1 - 2pm
Concurrent breakout sessions:
• Idea Sharing for SLP activities that can Build a Better World: bring your samples of activities and ideas. Moderator: Marie Boleman, Oshkosh Public Library.
• Coding Programs and Activities: Be prepared to try coding at a variety of levels, from no-tech / low-tech to robotics. Become familiar with games and activities you can use at your library. No experience required. Learn about this new literacy and why public libraries are the perfect place for people to code. Presenter: Sue Abrahamson, Waupaca Area Public Library. (session will be repeated at 2:15pm)
• Wakanheza: Learn to de-escalate stressful situations and create more welcoming environments. Presenters: Elizabeth Timmins, Seymour Public Library; Ashley Thiem-Menning, Kaukauna Public Library; and Ann Hardginski, Kimberly-Little Chute Public Library.
• Like-Sized Library Sharing Time: a informal get-together for staff from "big" and "mighty-but-small" libraries.
2:15 - 3:15pm
Concurrent breakout sessions:
• Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) - actively teach expected behaviors instead of responding to undesired behavior with punishment. Presenters: Adeline Miller and Kim Hoffman, Oshkosh Public Library.
• Coding Programs and Activities: Be prepared to try coding at a variety of levels, from no-tech / low-tech to robotics. Become familiar with games and activities you can use at your library. No experience required. Learn about this new literacy and why public libraries are the perfect place for people to code. Presenter: Sue Abrahamson, Waupaca Area Public Library. (repeat of 1pm session).
• Best Practices for Using Social Media. Presenter: Alicia Woodland, Appleton Public Library.
Continuing education contact hours: 5
This workshop is co-sponsored by the Winnefox Library System and the Outagamie Waupaca Library System.