Winnefox Library System
Responsible Use of Computing Resources
The libraries participating in WALS (Winnefox Automated Library Services) cooperatively use technology to improve library services. WALS develops and maintains the telecommunications network, servers, software, and the shared automated library system used by its participating libraries. WALS is also responsible for Internet access for member libraries using the WALS network.
As part of the successful sharing of the computer resources, WALS users agree to a common set of principles for fair and appropriate use. Individual libraries may also have their own rules and guidelines. By accepting a Winnefox account, I acknowledge the following:
1. I acknowledge that my email account was created for work purposes and is owned by Winnefox Library System. Email sent to or from my account may be a public record and, as such, may be requested and released under Wisconsin’s Open Records Law.
2. I agree not to share passwords or grant use of my account to unauthorized persons. Unauthorized access and/or use is prohibited. I am responsible for all use made of my account.
3. I will not use my account for private business purposes.
4. I will not use system computer resources in ways that may damage the image or reputation of Winnefox or any of its member libraries. Such uses include:
- Sending threatening or harassing messages.
- Violating copyright or trademark laws.
- Sending chain letters and electronic petitions.
- Sending mass non-work mailings (spam).
5. I will not use the system computing resources in ways that impede others use of the system. This includes:
- Intentionally damaging electronic hardware or software.
- Storing excessively large personal files (mp3 files, photographs, computer programs) on shared servers.
- Sending large personal files (mp3 files, photographs, computer files) through the email system.
- Using bandwidth intensive software and products, including streaming video/audio, unless work related.
6. I agree to respect the privacy, property rights, copyrights, trademarks, and computer programs belonging to others.
7. I will not attempt to access privileged system files or programs.
8. I agree not to use computer resources to access or distribute confidential information, including personnel, medical, or library user information unless authorized to do so.
9. I agree not to physically connect unauthorized equipment to the network. This clause is not intended to cover connections to the public wireless network by smartphones, laptops, or similar devices.
10. I agree not to plug non-library flash drives or similar devices into staff computers.
WALS will take appropriate steps to manage the computer resources for the Winnefox Library System, including the following:
- WALS will require a signed account form from each user.
- WALS will set space limits on user file accounts on system servers.
- WALS will disable accounts if there is user abuse, after consulting with the library director or the Winnefox Technology Executive Council (WTEC).
- To manage system security and protect against unauthorized access WALS will take steps to monitor the computer resources. During monitoring, information may be examined, recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information, including personal information, placed on or sent over the system may be monitored. Users should make no presumption of privacy since these are work accounts.
I have read, understand, and agree to comply with the foregoing policies, rules, and conditions governing the use of my account and the Winnefox computer and telecommunications equipment and services.
Printed Name: ________________________________
Please return this form as soon as possible to ensure uninterrupted service of your account.