Staff at WCTS can recondition a library's CDs & DVDs. The Protect-O-Disc machine will buff and polish discs to remove scratches and abrasions.
- This service is free to WCTS libraries.
Other Winnefox member libraries may use this service at a cost of 50¢ per disc.
- This service is for library-owned discs only.
We will not recondition discs owned by the public.
- This process removes scratches; it is not suitable for surface dirt, fingerprints, etc.
Before sending us the disc, you should try cleaning it first.
If you don't have a disc-cleaning machine you can wash discs in warm water with dish detergent and a sponge or soft cloth.
- Our goal is a turnaround time of about one week, not counting transit time. However if staff receive an especially large number of discs at one time, or are especially busy with other tasks, it may take longer.
- WCTS does not guarantee the success of the reconditioning process. Some scratches may be too deep to be buffed out.
We've found that discs that are unplayable on one player will work fine on another player; even a reconditioned disc may not play on a particularly sensitive player.
- Because this process removes a part of the surface layer of the disc, it can only be done a limited number of times. The Protect-O-Disc manufacturer recommends not polishing a disc more than 5 times.
- This process cannot repair damage to the decorative side of the disc, that's the side with a picture or written information.
It only buffs out scratches on the "playable" side of the disc.
Send your library's CDs and DVDs to Cindy Wallace at the WCTS office.
Contact Cindy at 920-361-1916 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.