Engaging Your Board, Staff, and Community in Strategic Planning
To remain a cornerstone of community information, learning and culture, today’s library must strategically position itself to adapt to changes in its service area, technology, and the library industry. A successful strategic plan must reflect the thoughts of all of its key stakeholders — users, taxpayers, leadership, staff and community partners — in addition to the larger trends at play in society.
To do that, we recommend that public libraries solicit feedback and evaluate their community's needs. Engagement from the board, staff, and community will provide a framework for the library to define its vision and strategic organizational goals most effectively according to the needs of its community, help position it to react to changing trends in the future, and produce actionable goals to guide decisions about collections, technology, staffing, and facilities.
When their operations are aligned with community needs, libraries can be transformational institutions. Learn how to engage your library's stakeholders — from your board to your staff to the community you serve — to best plan for your library's future.
The webinar will be recorded, and will be available for viewing soon afterward.
All library board trustees, library staff, volunteers, and Friends group members are welcome to participate. There is no charge.
Contact hours for continuing education toward public librarian re-certification: 1
To participate: all you need for the visual is either...
• an internet-connected computer; you can test your computer & connection ahead of time, or
• an iPhone®, iPad® or Android® device; just download the free GoToWebinar app ahead of time
For the audio, either...
• earbuds, headphones, or speakers connected to your computer or device, or
• use a telephone or speakerphone to call in (long distance rates apply)
New to webinars?
• View the Attendee Guide so you'll know what to expect.
• As soon as you register for a webinar, a confirmation email will be sent to you from Jean Anderson via GoToWebinar Global Customer Support <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
• You'll receive an email reminder prior to each webinar, which will have a link which reads, "Click here to join" — this is the link you'll click to connect to a session.
• Before joining a webinar session, please turn off other software or processes on your computer that would compete with your Internet bandwidth. (Programs like automatic updates, instant messaging, email, etc., if running during the webinar, may degrade the quality of the webinar's audio and video.)
This webinar is part of the Wisconsin Trustee Training Week series, which was coordinated by the South Central Library System, and is supported by Arrowhead Library System, Bridges Library System, Indianhead Federated Library System, Lakeshores Library System, Manitowoc-Calumet Library System, Milwaukee County Federated Library System, Monarch Library System, Nicolet Federated Library System, Northern Waters Library Service, Outagamie Waupaca Library System, Southwest Wisconsin Library System, Winding Rivers Library System, Winnefox Library System, and Wisconsin Valley Library Service.