Winnefox Library System sponsored The Wakanheza Project™ Workshop on September 20, 2011.
Presenters: Chris Carroll (Co-Director, Berlin Public Library) and Valerie Mattair (Head of Children’s and Family Outreach Services, Oshkosh Public Library)
Recording of the workshop: (sorry, Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health requested I remove the recordings)
Scenario exercises (worst-case reactions versus a Wakanheza-style reaction) :
- Scenario 1: A man left his dog in his car on a heat-warning day; other patrons got upset and asked the librarians to talk to the man, who then got belligerant.
- Scenario 2: An angry 12-year-old who disrupts programs by bullying others
- Scenario 3: A parent hit her child while in the library.
- Scenario 4: A patron's ex-wife checked out a bunch of stuff on his daughter's card and lost them; wants the librarian to cancel the fines.
- Scenario 5: A child's unpaid fines were referred to the collection agency, and the parents threatened the library director.
- Humankind: be both
- We are all Earthlings
- A person's a person no matter how small
- Take captive every thought
- Do unto others
- There but for the grace of God
- Walk a mile in his shoes
- This too will pass
- Sow kindness, gather love
- The Wakanheza Project™ website
- Voices of Men
- "Get Service" video
The Wakanheza Project™ concept and logo were developed, copyrighted, and trademarked by Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health. Learn more at http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/cp/wakanheza.